Saturday, April 29, 2017

My Kids Are Embarrassed ...

Of ME!

I'm starting to hear rebuke from my children that I am treating them like little children.  Sometimes, I will put my arm around Simone's shoulder and, if she is in disagreement with me about whatever topic, she contorts her body to evade my touch.  One might think she is dancing, but nay ... she is rejecting my affection.

Max has now prohibited me from kissing the back of his hand.  It used to be my way of saying I love you as we walked hand in hand down the street.  But now he finds it humiliating.

I guess it's time that this dismissal of my maternal endearment surface.  My nephew Brandon was 8-years-old when he told his grandfather that he did not want a hug goodbye at the school drop-off zone.

When the kids were younger and more attached to me, other parents would warn me to cherish those times of bonding before they got much older.  At the time, it felt more like bondage.

It might be that I'm stubborn and proud, but I don't feel that much of a loss.  Be free, wild children!  Spread your wings and fly the coop!


No comments:

Post a Comment