Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Science Beyond our Backyard

I went outside to see the progress of the caterpillars and found out that our tiny row of carrots were not enough to sustain their appetites.  They razed the leaves and have either gone to search for more leaves (luckily not the basil) or have been eaten since they essentially ate their camouflage.



I did find one caterpillar that looked like he had been the runt of the group because he was as big as the others were when I last saw the big bunch.  


I don't think we'll be able to see these guys metamorph in their chrysalises.   :-(   


That's ok, really.  We still get to see science around our neighborhood.  Today, while riding their bikes around the neighborhood, Simone spotted a lizard that was flaring its red throat flap while hanging out in the middle of the sidewalk.  I told Simone that he was trying to attract the ladies.  "See how red my throat is, ladies? I'd make a good father!"  









No comments:

Post a Comment