Wednesday, August 14, 2013

I Could Eat a Horse


Remember all that hoopla at the beginning of the year over the "scandal" that some ground meat in Ireland was mixed with horse meat?    I agree that the meat should warn customers that the meat contains something other than beef, but am I grossed out that I might be eating horse?  Not at all!  If it tastes delicious, I will eat it!  Besides, I was reading Simone and Max some history narratives that described our hunter-gatherer ancestors' diets which included horse meat!  It's not that foreign for humans to do it.

Maybe I'd stay away from horse organs - raw or cooked.


There had been shocking news that Ikea's meatballs contained horse and I saw people on Facebook aghast at the notion.  I thought to myself, "Hmmm, I like those meatballs - I guess I already know I like horse."  But sadly, Ikea pulled that item from their menu.  But happily I found out that our Tampa Ikea left it on their menu!


Guess how it tasted?  As delicious as ever!!!

On a recent trip to a Colombian restaurant, I was enticed by one dish that boasted of slow roasted meat.  I ordered it despite the entree's title was "Bistec de Caballo."  The Filipino Bistec is deeeeelicious and savory, but the Spanish word for horse concerned me - for just a split second.  

This meat was so good that I forgot to take a picture once the dish arrived.
I thought to take a picture only after I had already eaten 75% of it.  The meat is under the untouched egg.   It didn't taste foreign and I figured that the word horse is put in the title to emphasize the portion of the food rather than the ingredient.  


I think the world was grossed out by horse meat because it's been 10,000 years since it was the norm.  And because it's strange to dig into something that we have historically referred to as our transportation / pet / coworker on the farm.  This makes me wonder about having dog.  Maybe I'd enjoy it!


No comments:

Post a Comment