Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Simone's First Day of 1st Grade


On Monday, Simone's school invited all students to meet their teachers for the new school year.  Simone was a little excited and was curious to see what Ms. Whitley would be like.

When we got to the school Simone started feeling nervous.  She clung to me and stayed quiet.  Once in the classroom, she tugged me close to her and whispered in my ear, "I'm more nervous than I thought I would be."  She was also disappointed that none of her old classmates she liked were in her present class.  I, on the other hand was excited for her to be with a teacher who had previously been teaching 4th grade!  I hope this gives Simone more challenge.  Max was also excited to see Simone's classroom because lounging on a shelf was a stuffed Pluto dog from his favorite show "Mickey's Club House: Road Rally."  Max asked to have it and wailed when I said he couldn't.  He insisted, "Yes, I can!"  Waaahhhh!!!  We left the meeting with Max crying, "Pluuuttoooo!"

The night before school was calm and I finally got my act together and got Simone to bed on time at 7:30pm.  The two kids were still hyped up, however, so I allowed them to sleep in the big bed until they fell asleep.  Part of getting back to the school year routine is for me to get to bed on time.  If I don't get up early enough, the kids get rushed with their breakfast and everyone is frazzled.  Max isn't going to school yet, but he always accompanies his big sister for drop-off and pick-up.

Simone was much more relaxed this year compared to last year's experience.

Simone is actually smiling on her first day.


Max is ready too

Simone wanted to take a picture with all her supplies.

Simone was very brave and never teared up.  She did want me to stay longer than we did.  I'd say we were with her for about 15 minutes.  I introduced her to her new classmate Emiylah who sits across Simone.  They were both nervous and ignored each other.



Max was super brave, approached Simone's teacher and asked,  "Can I have Pluto?"  And to my surprise, she gave it to him!!!  I assured Ms. Whitley that it wasn't necessary and she responded with, "Girl!  Do you know how many stuffed animals I have in that back cupboard?!"  As she was getting Pluto, Max turned to me and said, "I told you she would give it to me!"  I had to admit I was wrong and Max was doubly happy!

We left Simone as the Principal started her welcome speech.  Simone did not object but also was not joyous.  She started to work on her "All About Me" sheet that Ms. Whitley gave the students.  I miss her already!



Max on the other hand has his mind on his new friend Pluto.  I'm sure, however, that he will be asking to pick up Simone earlier than scheduled.





No comments:

Post a Comment