Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Simone, the Poet


Simone had been asking for a journal and we happily obliged.  Our first stop was Barnes and Noble, but we only found expensive options.  Office Depot next door had our budget in mind, and once Michael saw the aisle of Trapper Keepers, he had more presents for Simone in mind too!

I think he fondly remembers his Trapper Keeper from middle school and wanted to give Simone the same joy.  He got her lined and graphed paper, stencils, pencils, pens, a calculator, post-its, and a ruler.  The picture above shows how excitedly they put it all together as soon as we got home.

As for the original request of a journal, Simone got a pretty one with an attached tassel bookmark and a magnetic cover.

I wondered what she would write in it.  She has seen this blog before, but she hasn't been exposed to the practice of writing with an instrument onto pieces of paper bound together to acknowledge one's thoughts.  Well, I didn't have to wonder very long.  She has been quite prolific in writing poems!  Here are some that she wrote all by herself.
(Little cat. Little cat.  Do you fly?  Do you eat eggs?
Little cat do you play?  Yes, you play.)

(Daddy Daddy Daddy.  Daddy, do you eat eggs?
Daddy Daddy, do you run?  Daddy Daddy do you pay? No.
You play with Simone and Max.)

(One crayon jumped out.  Where did it go?
It went down the drain.)

There is a similar rhythm to the poems and I think she got her inspiration from all the poems she heard in Kindergarten.  

9 comments:

  1. I think Simone is a secret Yao Ming fan! And that is an awesome trapper keeper that Michael filled up. We just got Brandon one and Grace kept telling him, "I always wanted one but my parents wouldn't let me have it." - Derrick

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's true! They didn't let us have a lot of stuff. Although I think that later in high school I had one - when it wasn't cool to have one. :(

    How does Brandon like his Trapper Keeper?

    I don't get the Yao Ming reference. /:( Is he a ghost writer of poetry? Does he like Moroccan designed journals? Is he a fan of eggs?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, I think it's because I've often had the same thoughts about Yao: does Yao play, does Yao eat eggs? Sometimes, I ask little cats those questions too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. /:-/ Derrick, I know I'm very unfamiliar with the mainstream references, but I think you may be smokin' something. :) hahahha, jk. Seriously, I don't get it.

      Delete
    2. Wife's interpretation...it's because Simone's "you" could look like "yao" in the first poem. OR...Derrick is smoking something and really misses Yao playing.

      Delete
  4. Wow, a trapper keeper! I googled "trapper keeper" just last week because Brandon's school supplies made me nostalgic. Those were so cool!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love Simone's poems! Maybe she'll start a Segami club in high school. So artistic!

    ReplyDelete