Thursday, January 22, 2015

A Mrs for Max?

One morning, Max and I were sitting on the bed and he said, "Mommy ... when I grow up, I want to be alone."

I didn't answer right away because I wasn't sure what he meant by being alone.


Me: "Do you mean that you don't want to get married?"
Max: "Yeah, I don't want to be married."
Me: "That's cool.  You can do that."


Then Max thought for a while and then asked Michael a question.

Max: "Daddy, when you were my age did you want to be alone."
Michael: "Not really.  I think I always knew I wanted a wife."

More thinking for Max, but now the questioning returns to me

Max: "Mommy, but what if I have a freaky wife?!"
Me: "Well, if you live with her and date her for a while, you'll know that she's a freaky girlfriend so you can break up with her and never have to marry her.   You can marry if you want to or not marry if you don't want to.  It's up to you."


Max seemed relieved because he turned around and started playing with his superheroes.  I don't know if digested any of our conversation.  We shall see ... much, much later in the future because he has told me that although he likes girls, he thinks it's gross to kiss one.

No comments:

Post a Comment