Wednesday, September 24, 2014

Price for Local Shelter

Before we got to DC, I casually looked at places we could buy and fix up with the hopes of selling the house when we have to move again.  This search was difficult because we wanted something run-down or small that could increase with value with some sweat equity; assigned to good schools; close to Michael's work; and within our budget.  A loan officer gave us a ballpark of how much we could spend on a mortgage, but I thought the price was too high for us to continue our relaxed lifestyle.  I wanted to get a loan for 2/3 of what they said we could "afford"! 


When Michael and I arrived in DC, I paid even less attention to available homes.  If I did a search, it was solely for houses or apartments to rent.  I had given up on buying a house because the last two months in Tampa had been grueling and I didn't want to lift another power tool.  No more fixer-uppers in my near future!  Just paying rent and relaxing. 


When the kids arrived, I started to think farther ahead into the future and thought it prudent to visit some apartments to get a feel of the neighborhoods that are close to Michael's work.  What. A. Shock.  We had dreams of Michael just skipping to work in mere minutes.  Those fantasies were dashed when I realized the basic rent was more than what our housing allowance is.  As my radius of acceptable apartments widened, I inquired more thoroughly about extra fees for parking - particularly covered and assigned parking.  They wanted my other arm and leg for such luxuries!


Finally I found a couple of places worth a visit and made appointments.  When I got there, I found out there are these extra charges called, "amenity fees"!  I asked them what amenities we could enjoy and the only one worth anything was access to the community pool.  There was a long list, but it included silly things like the community lounge(i.e. singles hook-up room), the business center (i.e. public room with a printer), gym (i.e. exercise room with equipment the local health club threw out), outdoor grill (i.e. you can't have one on your own 21sf balcony), mail center (i.e. room where an employee dedicates his life to receiving and protecting your UPS packages until you come home after sitting through 1 hour of traffic), etc.  I dared to ask if we could opt out of the $400/ year surcharge, but it was non-negotiable. 



$400 swimming pool access that is worth it only 3 months of the year



The Lounge!  The place to see and be seen!  


This made me start looking at 1 bedrooms and at 6-month leases.  Both options sound miserable and living in the bus throughout the whole year is seeming more enticing.  I never thought I'd say this but it's cheaper to live in Northern California! 



1-bedroom with a loft.  



Many municipalities prohibit personal grills on balconies.  





No comments:

Post a Comment