Sunday, September 21, 2014

Simone and Her Violin

Simone has been expressing that she'd like to learn the violin for the past year or so.  It's been amazing that she is adamant about this particular instrument.  Not that the violin is an amazing choice, but that she has been so consistent in one instrument.  She, and other kids her age, usually waver among different options that it's hard to know what a kid really wants.  But not with Simone, she wants to learn to play the violin because, in her words, "It's beautiful." 



At a DC Metro station, watching a young woman play her vioin. The kids were entranced!


In August, I decided to visit a music shop to just casually see if they would have a violin in her size.  We went that day because the store was on our way home from Max's doctor appointment.  The associate there measured her arm span and found a used violin that we could rent.  I had meant it to be a research visit, but we ended up renting the violin because she was so excited and because the rental fee was so cheap!  $19.99 for the first 3 months! 


She wanted to play with it so much, but we had to tell it would be better to wait for instruction lest she develop bad habits.



The clock to get an instructor was ticking because of 1) the 3 month rate (afterwards, the rate increases to $28/month) and because of 2)instructors' schedules would fill up as soon as school started.  I called a few and inquired online through teacher search websites.  After 2 interviews in person, Simone decided she wanted to learn from Ms. Laura, who happens to be a Suzuki teacher.  I was especially stoked with Simone's choice because one of Laura's master degrees was in pedagogy! 

I was also glad that Simone would be studying the Suzuki method.  I had heard a lot of good things about it and was eager to have Simone engage in it.  I did hear bad things about it such as there being too little emphasis on note-reading, but my interview with Laura assuaged my concerns.  Although Laura also mastered in the Suzuki method, she does not adhere solely to it and incorporates note reading much earlier than the "pure" Suzuki teachers would.  She herself had studied traditional first and then moved into Suzuki, a common route for other professional players. 
Part of the Suzuki method is that parents are highly involved - so much so that before Simone could begin her lessons, I had to take a parent class!  I took a very accelerated one in which Laura just discussed the idealogy of Suzuki techniques with me.  She said that a typical parent course involves observing 8 student lessons in addition to the book class! 



I don't know who was more excited during Simone's first lesson.  I eagerly took notes like the good Asian student  I am.  Simone couldn't find her voice at first and would look at me before she answered her teacher.  Within 20 minutes, however, Simone was answering questions without prior approval.  It was a really fun class.  Simone and Laura made a foot chart that helps Simone know where to put her feet during "rest position" and "play position."  They discussed parts of the violin and did an end-of-the-lesson song that involved their bowing Japanese-style to express thanks for the lesson. 


The proper way to hold her violin.



Another component of the Suzuki method is regular group classes.  The other teacher I interviewed teaches the traditional method and didn't put much emphasis in the group classes.   I never did group lessons when learning the piano - and maybe it's harder to do with that instrument - but I'm all for it if it accelerates Simone's interest in the violin!  


Miss Laura played most of "Pop Goes the Weasel" and the kids got to pluck a couple of notes.  

Simone was not interested in the group lessons!  She complained so much before we arrived and voiced her preference to stay home at the bus.  I told her she had to follow through till the end of the month and she went begrudgingly.  But when she got there, her mood was pleasant!  Her classmates were two 4-year-olds.  I thought there another student, 9 years old, would attend but so far Simone is the oldest.  She had a motivating effect on the little girls, but I doubt she was inspired by her cohorts.  She did like being praised by the teacher and the attending pianist (who happens to be the teacher's mother and also a music teacher).  I think Simone also liked the game-like exercises Laura introduced to the kids.  They went over rhythm and note identification with a bunch of little ditties and much movement.

Tomorrow we're off to Simone's second class.  She hasn't been practicing enthusiastically - I hope it changes soon and she can take off with her passion.

  


No comments:

Post a Comment