Friday, December 27, 2013

Christmas Decor

The kids have been asking for a Christmas Tree for practically the entire year.  Last year,  we had our measly 2' plastic one, but threw it away after the holidays.  I totally forgot that and felt bad when I went up to the attic to retrieve that which was not there.  Michael had suggested we cut down this invasive tree that had sprung up next to the row of palm trees.  After thinking about how cumbersome it would be to try to keep it alive in a pot of dirt inside the house, I thought of another way to decorate the home for the season.

Painting!



I meant to just paint my tree and hang it up for the kids to hang their stockings and school-made ornaments, but when they saw me having fun with acrylic, they just had to make their own Christmas tree painting too.  Simone was having such a great time that she asked, "Can we paint a tree every year?" 

The humbug that I am wasn't going to get the kids stockings, but Max had been envious of the one Simone had received in Kindergarten.  A quick trip to Michaels with $6.42 solved that.  Now each kid will have their own monogrammed stocking every year.  

I enjoyed this year's festivities.  It was not cumbersome, but it gave the kids joy to spice up the house.  I have continued my other tradition of putting down the decor the day after the holiday.  The kids seem to be used to it because they didn't cry when they looked up at the wall and no longer saw their paintings.  They might have been too occupied with their gifts to notice the missing decorations.  


No comments:

Post a Comment