Friday, December 27, 2013

Michael is 39!

Michael's birthday is on Christmas, but the kids still remembered it was their daddy's special day.  In the morning, Simone greeted him, "Merry Christmas and Happy Birthday, Daddy!"  Max mimicked his sister, but I'm not sure he really knew it was his father's birthday.  Simone also made a special card for him:


My parents and sister's family gave him tools and so did "Max and Simone."  Rather, I bought him a tool and said it was from the kids.  Simone flat out said, "I did not get that for daddy!"  From me, I got him a book he had been wanting to read ever since we bought our bus from the Hutterites.  "Nightwatch" is a memoir of one Hutterites experiences after joining the group.  He had not be born in the group and is considered an outsider.  Michael highly recommended it after he spent his entire birthday morning and night reading the 200 pages.  He loves to do this on his birthdays,  spend the entire day reading.  This year, however, was sprinkled with buswork in the middle.  He still managed to finish the entire book!


I had asked him a month prior what he wanted for the Christmas meal.  He simply replied the usual, "Angel Food Cake."  This year I had a problem - I no longer had the bundt cake pan.  I hoped the Commissary would have a disposable verisons, but they didn't.  I wasn't about to buy another one knowing that we might be moving into the bus next year so I contemplated what it is about the angel food cake Michael loves so much.  


I'm not a fan of the stuff so I thought that Michael must like it because there is extra surface area and thus more room for frosting.  I then set out on making the cake myself without the accessory.
Using a regular cake pan and the angel food cake batter,
I got a squat cylinder.  

I then cut out a hole in the middle
to give the cake more surface area!

Frosting:  Max picked the color green
and Simone's hand is on the bottom right
indicating how much of it she would like to taste.

What came out was the most pathetic cake ever made.  We sang to Michael and he had several slices.  He would have had half the cake if the kids didn't ask for a second slice.  I was pleasantly surprised when I tasted the cake and declared, "This is the yummiest, ugliest cake I've ever made!"





No comments:

Post a Comment