Friday, November 1, 2013

Halloween 2013

We had a lot of activities planned for Halloween 2013!

Simone's school had a Book-o-Ween parade in which all kids in costume could participate if their costume was a character in a book.   Really, everyone could participate - even Max did(!) - and the teachers found books that were appropriate for the costumers who didn't bring their book.



Simone was very excited to show off her book and costume and her high heels!  She practiced reading her book before the parade and well before Halloween.  She even sometimes read the book aloud to her brother.  Max had practiced saying "What's up, doc?" but didn't feel brave enough to say it to people that day.


I couldn't tell if Max enjoyed the parade.  He didn't complain, but I also found him looking very bored.  He might have been overwhelmed by all the children.   He's never been around so many people before!

Might this is be a precursor to Max's own days in school?


The kids were very eager to go out trick-or-treating.  Michael and I had to rush our dinner to do so!  Inside, I was a bit excited too and didn't mind inhaling the food.  


Last year we had practiced saying "trick or treat."  I didn't think we needed to do it this year because Max was older and I thought for sure Simone was over her shyness at the phrase.


At one street, Simone started running madly towards a particular house.  I had seen a flurry of yellow and blue and realized she was excited to see the larger version of herself.  I started running just to catch up to my little cheetahs.


Max timidly, but politely, greeted the hosts "trick or treat."  Simone, however, refused to and the allure of candy was not enough for her to utter sounds to strangers.  She left without candy, but I think she was more relieved to not be pressured to say anything.  


When trying to get a picture with her and the teenage Snow White, Simone ran in the opposite direction with the same ferocity as she had getting there.


One particular house has scary decorations - I think I may have noted it last year too!  Well this year, they had skeletons & ghouls cackling and shaking and the kids were utterly terrified.  Michael and I, however, were so fascinated and wanted to stand in front of the scenery and watch all the macabre happening.  We were naughty parents and walked passed it, dragging our kids along, probably creating fodder for nightmares and ensuring the need for therapy in the future.

Simone's bigger fear was talking to strangers and, unlike last year, she could not muster enough courage to do it to get the candy.  Michael took her home as her punishment, but Max and I continued on the candy hunt.


Max still needed to be egged on to do it at every house (or maybe I was just paranoid at being branded as the mother in the neighborhood who does not teach her child manners), but he said it very quietly every time.  


People, young and old, were so tickled to see Max in a costume that celebrated such an old cartoon.  Looking around, I realized that every kid had superheroes or Disney characters.  Max is really unique!  Neighbors tried to get him to say, "Eh, what's up, doc?"  But he didn't do it.  He's shy too and is not as extroverted as other kids.  He only seems extroverted because he is constantly compared to his sister.  If he had his druthers, he wouldn't talk to strangers either.  Except if they have candy and he has to say "trick or treat" to get said sweets.  I think he knew that Bugs Bunny's infamous line was not going to guarantee more treats.

After only 6 more houses after Simone's departure, Max said to me, "Wow, we have a lot of candy!"  I looked in his pail and he only had it 1/4 filled.  He suggested we go home and my tired self gladly agreed.  Michael hypothesized that he missed his sister.  I think he did and wanted to share his bounty with her.

Simone was excited to see us when she got home but was not eager to eat any candy.  Her tooth was getting more loose and blood was spewing out!  That story will be for another post.



No comments:

Post a Comment